Thursday, April 14, 2011

Two Down!

So I finished The Glass Castle I have to say that it was not my very favorite book. And as far as my book club books have gone, it's way better than Three Cups of Tea*. But it was certainly no Book Thief! the biggest hurdle I had to get over with this book was that it was really about how horrible her early life was and then in the last 60 pages she was able to tell how she was able to get away from her family. It's one of those books where you have to keep asking "How could it get worse?!" And then it does.

Before I finished The Glass Castle - I plowed through The Hunger Games. WINNER WINNER WINNER!!! Wow was this good. It's written for a younger reader and so the first 50 pages do a lot of the traditional exposition strategies that a younger reader would need. A few words are defined that an experienced reader might not need. But please do not let that deter you from reading this amazing book. It is a book that I keep thinking about. It's the first in a three part series. I loaned the first book to a friend of mine and she said that she already bought the second book, and said I could read it after she is done! So excited. It's a post-apocalyptic tale of a young girl who goes into fight for her life in "The Hunger Games". It has everything you would want in a good quick read. Romance, Bad Guys, Intrigue, Honor and Glory. I can not say enough. It's 384 pages of edge of your seat storytelling. So Glad I picked it up, and I think you should too!

Happy Reading to you!

*This is a great story. Don't get me wrong - I am all for giving back to the world. But the writing was just too dry for me. Mountain Mountain Mountain - Oh yea - I also built a school.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I seriously love the hunger games series. LOVE IT. I read the entire series in two or three days when the third came out (rereading the first two and reading the third). I could reread them all again right now if I had them! Loved them. I have heard really good things about a book called The Girl Who Was on Fire that is a compilation of essays by other YA authors about the Hunger Games series. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!

I'm so glad you are having such a great spring break!! Enjoy every minute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...