Thursday, February 5, 2009

Weather makes children turn into the devil

I teach high school. i love this about my life. i do not like it when the weather changes from warm to cold or cold to warm - it is because the children turn into crazyness. today the progression of weather changing from warm to very cold and rainy made the almost full grown kids - i mean these are 16 and 17 year olds - into 5 year olds who scream about nonsense.

a real conversation - i wouldn't lie to you about this.
me - and so when we look at Montag we can see that he is missing something from his life
boy - it's windy outside
girl - it's gonna rain
me- kiddos let's focus - B why don't you explain what Montags conflict is
boy #2 - i heard it's gonna rain all day tomorrow
girl #2 - i heard it's was supposed to rain at no
me - focus children focus - yes i heard it's going to rain - let's get back to the book

this is the kind of day people think about when they picture a high school classroom. half of my students were looking out the window waiting for the sky to fall. the other 25% were paying attention to me and the rest were looking at the clock praying for the day to be over.

and then there was the moment that makes me say "yes i can come back to work tomorrow and deal with these pumpkins" this boy (not one from the earlier conversation) comes up to me after class and says
' hey mrs. parsons that lesson today was really cool. it totally made me think about what it would be like in that world that the characters live in'

and then there were the words that make me jump up and do a happy dance.

"thank you" he smiles and tells me to have a good weekend.

I know I will :)

1 comment:

Tasha said...

The rain conversation had me laughing out loud. Got to love high school students.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...