Monday, May 17, 2010

Gender Rolls -

as discussed in an 11th grade classroom.

We are currently reading two different pieces. "I Want a Wife" by Judy Brady and "Not All Men are Sly Foxes" By Armin Brott.

They were so funny to listen to. I am always so amazed by what young people are willing to discuss. It makes me so very proud to be a part of their education.

We discussed the rolls of mothers and fathers today.
Here is a little blip on their thoughts -

Me - Okay so how do we define what a man is - J when do you think you become a man.
J- I think when your father sits you down and tells you that he is proud of you and the actions you have taken in your life.
Me - wow that is a pretty powerful statement.
H - Mrs. Parsons what if you don't have a father in your life
Me - I think a father does not have to be biologically linked to you - It can be any man or mentor in your life. That helps create an adult.
H - *smiles and nods his head*

After class K comes up to me and says -
K- I'm so glad we had that talk today. It helps me understand what it might be like to not grow up with two parents. I think it's important to hear other people's viewpoints. It gives me a greater sense of the world around me. Thank you.

Those are the lessons I love teaching.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...