Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Night

I love teaching Night.

But - I'm a crier - Today and tomorrow (block schedule) I am reading chapter 5 with my students. This chapter discusses the fact that Elie has an infection in his foot and is forced to go into the hospital unit. As readers we find out that had he stayed in the hospital unit during the evacuation of Buna he would have been freed by the Russian army. This makes me cry.

Then the part that makes me cry every time I read it - Akiba Drumer is taken away and asks his friends to say the Kaddish for him. (the Jewish prayer for the dead). Elie then talks about the fact that three days later when they are meant to say the prayer they forget.

Gets me every single time.

I do love how sensitive the kids are - they really love reading and learning about this time period in history. It makes me feel like I'm doing a good job with my lessons when a group of 30 tenth graders are so quiet and interested in what they are reading.

speaking of good teaching - I've been nominated by my peers for teacher of the year. eeek

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...