Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Advanced 10

I have dislexia.

I was in classes that helped me with reading from 2nd to 5th grade. I tested out of RSP when I went to middle school but still struggled with reading. My 8th grade English teacher refused to let me go into advanced English or Spanish when I went on to high school.

Now I teach advanced English. This is insane to me. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE it. I've had advanced 11 for a few years now and l.o.v.e. it.

This year in my mail box I got the memo that I would be teaching Advanced 10. I was a little shocked and then progressively excited.

I found out what the books are and now I'm interested in adding two more supplemental books to the list. We have four books for supplemental reading and I would like to be able to let students choose four - these are the four that are already on the list

Joy Luck Club
Native Son
All Quiet on the Western Front
Things Fall Apart

Core Lit:
Of Mice and Men
Night
Julius Caesar
Animal Farm

If you were going to add two titles what would they be?

It's world lit - I was kinda hoping for a good piece with a latino/a background.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Carly said...

Ok, what comes to mind for Latin American lit is House on Mango Street... which I LOVE and ADORE. It's a very simple and quick read, but has so many fun literary things going on with it. You could do a really fantastic writing unit with it.

There's also Time of the Butterflies or When I was Puerto Rican (which are both more in the World Lit than American Lit category), and I liked both of them too.

So fun to get to do a whole new grade level. Such an adventure!

ps. I didn't know you were dislexic until you said something about it a while back on your blog. I'm so impressed that you teach advanced lit despite your challenges. You rock.

Tasha said...

All I can say is I seriously think you are are one amazing lady. And I love you and your blog. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...