Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Money and Education

Yesterday I got the news that the financial struggle had come crashing down - and it happens to take my Education program with it.

Three years ago I helped to write a grant and we received funding to the tune of 90,000 over a four year period. The team of grant writers was overjoyed! The program we were building was for kids who wanted to be teachers. Last year I was able to teach the class and we had a wonderful time.

This year 16 kids signed up - but due to low numbers and the current enrollment being far over what was originally projected, they needed to cut the program. This is the first time in school history that they have had to cut programs. Tomorrow hundreds of new schedule changes will be happening and students will be changing classes in a hurry. I'll be getting a new class all together.

With all of this change and all of the disappointment.

Here are a few things that I am thankful for.

1. That the students who were in the class for those two short weeks are planning on starting a Future Teachers club and will be trying to raise money to go to the Museum of Tolerance in the spring.

2. I have amazing friends (who happen to also be coworkers) who were there for me and gave me lots of hugs today.

3. I will now have a prep period at the end of the day. It means that this Friday my day ends at 12:10. That's pretty awesome.

4. My wonderful husband who is so supportive and has done everything in his power to make sure I'm okay. Including let me do the ugly cry (oh yes - it was bad).

5. I have a job, at a school that I love, with people I love.

6. Kristine (of blog stalking fame) is letting me help advise the class of 2012. It feels good to feel needed again.

So even though I am very sad to be losing my program. I still have much to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Candice said...

I'm so sorry...
I know that we talked about this today, but it's still a bummer. Maybe the program can be reinstated? Still...I'm sorry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...