Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tap into what you know.

Here is what I have discovered about teaching. I know that teachers across this country know the information I am about to present. But I think it's good enough to share again.

Tap into what a student knows about.

Example:
C comes to me and needs help with his writing. He is a very dedicated student, but his writing lacks structure. He can explain what he wants to say to me, but when he puts it down on paper there is just a disconnect.

C: Mrs. Parsons will you look at this revision I've done on my persuasive essay.
Me: Sure C, (He patiently waits for me to pick a part his essay) well. There are a few things you need to fix. I think your biggest problem is that there is no flow to what you have written. You need to take a look at your syntax and your diction choices.
C: I'm not sure how to do that.
Me: Okay. What I'm about to say may change the way your write. You love music correct
C: More Than Life. *He is in the band and is a section leader.
Me: You know how in music you have a crescendo or a decrescendo so that there is a reaction from the audience.
C: Yeahhhhhhh
Me: I want you to make your writing do that.
C: OH My Gosh. Oh my gosh. I get it. I know how to do that. I get it.

He then told me thank you about a hundred times. It made my day to know that I could help a kid look at his writing in a different way.

1 comment:

Candice said...

Way to cross-curricular teach Parsons! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...