Saturday, September 25, 2010

it is the second S*

I have a hard time saying no.

I am a people pleaser and sometimes that becomes a problem. The Hubs gave me a magnet for the fridge in my classroom a few years back that says. "Stop me before I volunteer again". I make myself look at it at least once a day at work. Part of it is that I don't like to let people down. I like to be involved. I enjoy being busy.

As I look at the year ahead I get excited about the fun things that I get to be a part of - not just in my classroom but on my campus and in my community. I am co-advising with Kristine (of blog stalking fame) for the class of 2012.

I don't have to go to home football games. I enjoy it. I like hearing kids yell "Hey Parsons!" - it makes me feel needed. There is still a very big part of me that doesn't like to be the girl sitting on the sideline. Growing up I spend a lot of my time with the ASB. I was able to be a part of the foundation of a school, we were the first graduating class. It was nice to be a part of history. Even if it's local hometown history.

Speaking of high school. Tonight is my ten year reunion. I am on the planning committee (there's that volunteering again). There is a part of me that worries, because not a lot of the people I kept in touch with will be there tonight I'll have no one to sit with. Thank goodness I get to bring my husband tonight. I can't imagine facing this on my own. Bleck - it would be terrifying. I was kind of that weird girl in high school. I wouldn't say that I was popular - but I think I was well liked.

Now I tell my students - if you are weird in high school people don't know what to think of you. the weirder you are as a high school teacher the more you are loved. It's very strange but very true. I am still very much the same person I was in high school - I want to be involved and I want to be well liked. I don't like it when people are upset with me. It not that I want to be the person who people walk all over - but I want to be the person people can depend on.

I enjoy serving others. In whatever capacity that is or becomes. I guess it's a good thing I work in a place that stands for that. Character Leadership Attitude Scholarship Service - CLASS.

*this blog post title comes from Kristine of blog stalking fame.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...