Monday, September 20, 2010

spirit week

I love my job. Today I got to wear a Bobba Fett shirt* and jeans.
Tomorrow I get to wear a wig and act like I have a secret identity.
Wednesday I will wear my cape and dance in a rally.
Thursday is twin day.
Friday is extreme spirit day.

It's a good life.

transition

Today was another day in the library for research. It's amazing to me that some kids don't know how to find a publishing company or copyright year when looking inside of a book. They spend so much time online and not in real libraries that they don't know how to work when they are in one.

While they are working I'm reading the new book for book club. I'll read a page or two - go help a kid - three or four pages - help a kid. And while I was in the middle of a page a kid strikes up this conversation

R: Why are you reading that
Me: It's for my book club
R: I can't read like that
Me: do you mean while standing up or because I only get a few pages in at a time?
R: No - I don't like to read for fun. I only read the stuff I have to and I don't really even enjoy that.

This is a conversation that sadly happens more often than I would like it too.

So go read a book - and because it's ALA.org banned book week - go read a banned book!



*Bobba Fett is from Star Wars - he's a bad guy.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

That is awesome. Seriously. Sad about the reading though. I love to read. Love. To. Read. I only hope and pray my boys will too. My husband really doesn't enjoy it. I don't get it. That is okay though. Have fun during spirit week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...