Saturday, March 20, 2010

Slam!

I hate being in between teaching units. Right now my 10th graders are done with Caesar but too close to spring break to start Night. So we are doing a quick little poetry unit.

Just a week and a half because they did the CAHSEE this week and next Friday begins glorious spring break. I love that my district gives us two whole weeks off!

So last class I showed them what Slam poetry is. Got an amazing example of off the website Edutopia. And found an example in one of the student work books I have. The kids were amazed that poetry could be 'cool'.

Then we made our own poem. We started with the subject. School.
Then each person wrote down a sentence on a piece of paper.
Then we mixed them up in a bag - read them out loud and figured out what order they should go in. There were some amazing statements made. One of my favorites was -
'the motivational posters don't inspire me at all'

They were excited to see how it all came together and how simple sentences could be turned into poetry.

I can't wait to see what they will create this week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...