Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Teaching that subject called life...

No one ever talks about the other 'subject' that teachers have to teach. Over the past 4 and a half years of teaching I have encountered all of the following - mind you this is a limited list, because if I wrote down everything it would be too long and you don't have time for that.

- Student pregnancies - miscarriages, and teen moms
- Depression - from the very scary kind - to the go get your nails done and you'll feel better.
- Breakups
- Being cursed at - you think of the word I've been called it. Most of the time it's as they are walking out the door.
- Students who have :
  • lost a parent
  • lost a friend
  • lost a sibling
  • lost their way
  • lost their faith
  • lost their hope

- Been told they are stupid - by a parent, teacher, friend, family member

- Had them cry in my classroom because it was the first time they felt safe enough to do so.

This is one of those issues that no professor can prepare you for. In the world of teaching some kids are going to love you - and others will wish for your slow and painful demise. I have had the fortunate ability to be the the teacher kids come to for help. This is a blessing in so many ways. It pushes me to be a better teacher - and more importantly a better person.

I always worry that I don't do enough and then I have day like today. When a student confides in me because she has faith that I will be able to help. She asked her friends who the best adult would be if she needed to go to someone. And all of them gave my name. I came home knowing that someones life is going to get better because I was able to help.

I wish that there was a way to teach how to do that but I don't know if there is.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I love thinking of you as a teacher (doing all the "normal" teaching things--reading, writing, laughing, dancing with your students... all in the course of the "subject" at hand). I also love thinking of you as the "other" teacher. I know exactly what you're talking about here. I knowing you are doing so much good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...