Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hail Caesar!

It was awesome. The weather was perfect (gloomy just like in the first act). The kids were loving the outfit.

Here's the play-by-play.

Got to school and made copies of the quiz. It was only a five question multiple choice 'pop quiz'.

*Side note - As a teacher I don't believe in pop quizzes. I think that in life we generally have the ability to know when things we will be tested on will arise. What good does it do for a kid to not know that a quiz is coming. So when I plan on giving a quiz to kids that they don't know about far in advance I give them the heads up.

"Okay class we just covered Shakespeare and his Play Julius Caesar - we will begin the play next week. The information we just covered is important and you will need to remember it because there MIGHT be a QUIZ on TUESDAY - WINK WINK - NUDGE NUDGE!."

One child raises their hand - Mrs. Parsons
Me - Yes child
Child - ummm so like is there going to be a quiz is that why you told us that?
Me. - I think it would be a good idea to study because there might be a quiz
Child - so like .... ummm *child turns to person next to him and whispers* there is gonna be a quiz
Child #2 - YES THERE IS A QUIZ
Me - yup.

I guess my side note was longer than I planned. please excuse.

Made Copies
Got in my Caesar gear. Headband - Sheet and Sword.
Welcomed kids to class as they came to my room.
- other students seeing me in this outfit inspired laughter and questions to my fellow teachers like "how come you never dress up"
Did some house keeping business and then got to reading.

They did really well stopping and asking for clarification with what was going on in the play.
We are listening to it on CD rather than read it. It helps to go faster and the different voices make it easier to understand than having students read the different parts. Also pronunciation is much easier once they have heard int played on the CD.

We got through the fist scene in the first act. and a bit into scene ii.

Overall i think it's a great start to a great unit!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...