Saturday, January 9, 2010

internal struggle

I'm bad at keeping track of what i teach and when i teach it.

obviously this is a strength that i would like to work on. and at the beginning of every semester i try my best to keep a little book of notes. what i liked about something - what to fix for next year. this is the thing - i never go back to them the next year. i always tell myself i will but i just don't. does this go against everything i was ever taught while i was getting my degree - YES.

I can't tell you how many times i was told that i would be writing formal lesson plans for the rest of my life. i would like to say that is true - it's not. there are really only two times that i write out a lesson plan and that is when i'm not going to be at school - and that's never (i only miss about 3 or 4 days a year - and if i could avoid it i would be at work every day). the other is when i'm going to be observed by one of my admin. I would like to say that i worry about being observed. but really - the idea no longer bothers me. i have to be honest and it is something i enjoy. i love what i do and based on the feedback i get from my students (and the state test scores i get back) i'm good at it. i like having people come in and see what i'm doing. it pushes me to be a better teacher.

so what do i do about keeping track of my lessons? i'll continue to keep pushing myself to write things down - and continue to push forward with my plan that i always start with. and maybe this time will be when it takes root and grows the way i hope it will.

1 comment:

Carly said...

Both my years of teaching (each at a different school district) I was required (REQUIRED) to keep a daily record. The first year was INTENSE. A specific form. A black binder on the edge of my desk that any student or parent or coworker could look at any time. Yuck. But I (mostly) did it. The next year was not so intense. But I was teaching for a federal program (Even Start) and we were going to be federally reviewed. Another binder was imperative.

ANYWAY, I found at my second job that I kept a binder with blank pages of a very simple lesson plan outline (title, goal, activity, comments) that I actually kept it up. Sometimes I did it before I taught... sometimes at the end of the day. But I did it. Because it was already there and already outlined for me adn I didn't have to type it or print it or anything. It worked. And I found I would reference back to it too. Go figure.

Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...