Saturday, February 20, 2010

An amazing tale.

I just got done reading The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. It is a historical fiction piece about Dinah the only daughter of Jacob and Leah. It made me aware of so much history and culture that I really didn't know a whole lot about.

It was beautifully written. Diamant does an incredible job of building characters that have been known for so long and yet breaths new life into them. The amazing love that they have for each other really inspires me. I was so interested in the rights of passage that the describes. That Leah, Rachel, Bilhah, and Zilpath love Dinah with such passion and delight. They take her into their arms and love her so uniquely compared to the way they love their sons. They treat her with such respect once she is able to wear the belt of womanhood.

Historical fiction is not normally my genre - I love post modern lit and YAL - But this struck a cord in me that I have not had with previous books. I picked it up because this was the choice for this months book club. I'm really looking forward to discussing it with my friend in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

Have you read it? What did you think?

2 comments:

Carly said...

I haven't read it, but I know my mom and at least one of my sisters has... and liked it. I keep meaning to borrow it from my mom whenever I'm home, but keep forgetting.

I usually really love historical fiction, so think I would really enjoy it! Thanks for the reminder to get my hands on it :)

Kelly said...

Carly - I think you would really like it - it talks a lot about motherhood and childbirth and how beautiful it all is.

I think once I'm a mom I'll want to read it again. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...