Monday, February 15, 2010

convince me....

i am trying to get some good ideas for what to have my students write about for their timed persuasive essay they will be writing this coming Thursday and Friday. (We are on block schedule so i don't see my kids every day). They are doing a practice paragraph on if spanking is okay.

i have a wonderful resource through the school library - EBSCO - oh i love it. it's awesome. i can't say enough about it. They have a new tool called opposing viewpoints - they have a list of over 60 topics to pick from and give a 'point' 'counterpoint' and 'overview' of every issue.

the problem is that as i look over the list i see the topics that everyone writes about:
school uniforms, teen driving, teen smoking, bla bla bla.

i don't want the typical topic - but i also don't want something that is going to be too controversial. With sophomores it's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes they can be grown ups about the topic - or then there is the kid who makes a fart joke and can't stop laughing for ten minutes of class.

We are gearing up for the CAHSEE in March and i want them to be ready - this entails covering seven different types of writing. So we are spending about two and half weeks on each format. The next format will be expository writing, then personal narrative.

So my search continues for the perfect prompt. Something that will spark their interest but also be age appropriate. i'll be putting on my thinking cap for this one!

3 comments:

Carly said...

I wish I had a perfect topic to give you. Pretty much I hated coming up with these types of topics as a teacher. They always feel so out of context (have you read They Say, I Say?).

If I come up with anything good, I'll let you know.

Kelly said...

I have not read They Say, I Say - I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the help :)

Tasha said...

Not much help for you. I am definatly not your english buff. Fun to hear what you are up to though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...